so ... your New Year's resolution was to eat healthier. Yeh! Me too. Aaaaand so here we are. I haven't done half bad actually, but for me, SPRING is the time I feel that motivation to Do Better, Be Better. Spring is all about Renewel! Its the time when most of us start feeling better about life. The day is longer, the sun is brighter. Its warmer outside (the ice is gone) so we can go for nice walks.
But let's be real, changing our eating habits can be difficult. We're talking 'life-style" here. Whether your reason is to lose weight, have more energy or just to eat healthier, here are some tips to make it easier.
1. while it is tempting to skip meals, don't fall for it. Fasting slows your metabolism right down, and what happens then? When you finally do eat, your body stores everything as fat. It back fires. Aside from the feeling of being denied, and then not making the best food choices afterward, your body adjusts to a 'conserve energy' condition.
Much better to maintain regular but managed meals.
2. step up the vegetable intake. Most North Americans do not eat even half of the recommended 9-12 daily servings of fruits and vegetables. It has never been easier than now with 28 options for vegetable. No washing, peeling, chopping or cooking. Decide now to try one new recipe a week using THRIVE Freeze Dried vegetables.
Meet your new best friend: the THRIVE LIFE Recipe Site.
3. master make ahead meals. With a bit of planning you can enjoy easy-to-prepare, but super nutritious meals that are heavy on the vegetables. Decide now to try one new recipe a week that can be converted into a "Meal in a Jar". Get to know your new best friend: The THRIVE LIFE Recipe Site.
Type Meal in a Jar into the search bar.
4. think ahead about snack time and plan for it. Instead of crunching your way thru a bag of chips at lunch time or, chocolate chips at night, satisfy midday hunger and night time cravings with healthy options that are ready at your finger tips. THRIVE LIFE SNACKIES are portion controlled, healthy choices of crunchy fruits, vegetables and dairy. But lets face it, sometimes a craving gets the better of us. If you could make 3 cookies instead of a whole batch, or a single serving of brownie instead of a whole pan - wouldn't you eat a lot less? Check out the THRIVE LIFE Bakery Line to satisfy the craving while staying in control.
5. getting a good night's sleep, is an important step in eating less. It seems almost contrary, but studies show we consume more in the way of unhealthy calories when we are short on sleep.
6. give your fridge and pantry a makeover.
Seriously, take control of your kitchen starting with your fridge. Be firm!
7. make a shopping list and stick to it. To combat the takeout-urge, stock your pantry with healthy staples for healthy dinners. Aim for recipes that you can make in 30 minutes or less, and be sure you have all the ingredients for at least five meals on hand at all times. Go back to your new BFF the THRIVE LIFE Recipe Site for quick + easy, nutritious meals. Shop by recipe.
8. boost your BROCCOLI intake.
Broccoli is high in many nutrients, including fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K, iron and potassium, and contains more protein than most other vegetables. As a "cruciferous" vegetable, related to cabbage, kale, cauliflower and brussels sprouts, it is rated as a "super vegetable". It is recommended we eat at least one serving of cruciferous vegetables every day. Most broccoli we buy in the produce department of our local grocery store (the "fresh" stuff right?) was picked a shocking 2 - 3 weeks ago. Especially if you live in Canada and are buying broccoli in April. Nutrients start to diminish within hours of harvest. Our nutritional expectation of "fresh" broccoli that we buy in the grocery store, should be lots lower than it is. THRIVE LIFE Freeze Dried Broccoli was picked ripe - when the vital nutrients are maximized, and flash frozen within 2-12 hours of harvest! I know! That is AMAZING! The only freshness that's gonna beat that, is fresh right outta your backyard garden.
In that frozen state it is transferred to a facility where it has all the remaining moisture removed through a vacumn process called sublimation. No heat. Original Nutrional Value INTACK. Best food ever. When you eat THRIVE LIFE Freeze Dried Broccoli, you are quite simply eating the Best broccoli on the market. You don't get much better than Best.
9. get back to SOUP.
Soup is a hearty, comfort food that has endless possibilities. You can eat soup every single day for a month and never have the same one twice. If you stay away from cream bases for the most part, soup can be a low calorie, satisfying meal that is perfect to take for lunch the next day. Bulk up on vegetables in your favourite soup recipes.
10. skip the meat once in a while.
You can 'beef-up' your meals without the beef! It is good to give your body a break from tough-to-digest meats once in a while. Vegetarian meals can be flavourful, filling and the perfect hearty meal to welcome them home on a cold winter day.
THRIVE LIFE Consultant